Saturday, August 24, 2013

First Week Schmoozing

My first week in Chicago has been all about getting to know my classmates who have already moved here.  My apartment building is essentially a dorm - I think someone told me that something like 40% of our class lives here.  The majority of the rest of the students live within a 2 block radius, so whether it's in the laundry room or at the CVS across the street you're bound to run into someone in your cohort or in your classes.

Monday night, people organized an around the world party, aka a booze & schmooze where you go to a new apartment/location every 30 minutes and the hosts have a themed drink/activity.  It was a fun way to meet a bunch of new people (and sneak a peak at how everyone has decorated their apartments for inspiration since we're still decking ours out).  It was pretty hot and loud and overwhelming, but a great first night of socializing.

Tuesday, the DC crew got together for brunch at Wildberry.  I didn't think that a pancake place would be very busy on a Tuesday, but it was packed at 11:30!  The food was delicious and plentiful!  My omelet came with a huge serving of hash browns as well as a side stack of pancakes.  I wasn't capable of finishing it all, but I'll definitely be going back to try some of their specialty pancakes.  Also, it's right around the corner from my apartment...

Some of the crew convinced me to go to the Nats vs. Cubs game that night.  There were probably 50 of us Boothies there.  I don't have any Cubs gear yet, so I wore my Nats hat to Wrigley Field...  At least it was a conversation starter.  We hit up Cubby Bear after the Nats dominated and danced the night away.  I felt way more in my element than I did at the party Monday night.  I even got people to make up totally wacky dance moves with me.

First game at Wrigley Field

The rest of the week, I spent running errands for my impending trip.  It's impossible to figure out how to dress properly conservatively when the weathermen are forecasting temperatures of 100+.  I met up with a few of my fellow travelers on Thursday night for drinks, and we all had the same questions/concerns.  I have a little bit of everything - long skirts, shorts, spandex - so hopefully I'll be covered for all possible situations.  Worst case scenario, I do some shopping there.  I have an abaya from Dubai, so why not get clothes from Jordan too?

I was going to check out the Greek Street Festival today before heading to the airport, but ultimately got lazy and ended up downloading a ton of books to read on the plane and cleaned the apartment since I'm the last to leave.  Also, my room is finally close to being finished.  I'm waiting on a few frames for new posters to come and need some more under-bed storage, but for now it's fine.

New room!

And now, I'm off to the airport!  Next stop: Jordan!

Love,
The Chicagtonian

No comments:

Post a Comment