Thursday, October 24, 2013

Overcommitment

This week, I spread myself too thin.  I'm really excited about everything on my plate, but people are right when they say that you can't do everything you want to in business school.  Things that are currently very exciting and also very tiring:

  • The prospect of co-founding a startup!  My friend Aubs and I are exploring creating what I think would be a really cool app for music lovers.  More details to come if/when exploration shifts towards realization.
  • Recruiting off-campus.  While all of the future bankers and management consultants are swamped with multiple recruiting events per day and are tired, I'm also exhausted from trying to forge my own path and network my way to an internship.  The hustle is only beginning.
  • Schoolwork.  I actually enjoy my classes and professors, but I spent almost 7 hours working with my various study groups just today.
  • Awesome club events and training.  I've been attending startup academy trainings and other club speaker events.  The trainings are perfect because they're helping Aubs and me figure out what we should be doing.
  • Competition and program information sessions.  There are so many cool things to get involved in.  I just started participating in the MBA Impact Investing Network and Training Program (MIINT).  My team is competing with other Booth teams (and hopefully teams at other schools) to identify the best investment in a social enterprise.
I realized things were starting to fall apart last night.  I fell asleep reading and woke up again at 1:30 am.  I could get back to sleep, so I worked on some problem sets until 4:30 when I was able to get back to sleep.  I missed the Metra to school, so I had to cab it in order to make my first group meeting.  And then, while going through my emails tonight, I realized that a couple of emails I hadn't read fully when they came through last week included deliverables that are due tomorrow (today).  Luckily I caught them, so it's really not that bad, but I need to be way better at staying on top of my emails and calendar.

Part of the craziness this week is in anticipation of the lovely Farbz coming to visit for the weekend!  In honor of her first ever visit to Chicago, I want to be schoolwork-free so we can enjoy the weekend.  Some potential activities on tap:
  • Wander Millennium Park (not difficult, I live literally across the street)
  • Architectural Boat Tour (if it's not too cold)
  • Half Acre Brewery Tour
  • Eat Hot Doug's
  • Eat Chicago-style Pizza
  • Go Crazy at the Belgian Halloween Party
  • Race Turtles
  • Visit Campus (mostly because I need to drop off papers...)
I can't wait to have some general lady hangs as well and just catch up on the DC goings-on.  Even though I still find time to read DCist, I've been terrible at keeping up with what people I actually know are doing.

And, I'm off to bed to prepare for the craziness of a new day.

Love,
The Chicagtonian

No comments:

Post a Comment